UP CM gives aid to sisters after they write letter with blood

Lucknow : Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav today directed state DGP to immediately investigate into the death of a woman in Bulandshahr whose two minor daughters met him today. The Chief Minster also announced compensation of Rs 5 lakh each to two sisters Latika Bansal (15)and Tanya and even assured a house and a job for their maternal uncle so that he can help them in their grooming. Mr Yadav met the girls after Latika, who witnessed her mother burn to death two months ago, wrote a letter to him with her own blood. However, Senior Bunlandshahr police officers visited Latika at her uncle's house and gave security to Latika and her 11-year-old sister Tanya. Police said they have reopened the case. Earlier, the police had claimed that Latika's mother Anu Bansal had committed suicide by setting herself afire. Latika had also claimed that she had been receiving death threats ever since she had started approaching top police officers to demand justice for her mother. On June 14, Anu was allegedly burnt alive by her mother-in-law Snehalata Bansal and brother-in-law Rajesh Bansal as she was "unable to give birth to a boy".

Anu's brother Tarun Jindal said victim's husband Manoj was also complicit in the murder. Latika had approached police officers at various levels but failed to get any help. In the hope of getting justice for her mother, she wrote a letter Mr Yadav with her own blood. Latika's mother had suffered 95 per cent burns after the incident and could not survive. The teen had even called the police helpline number - 100 - but got no help. She later called for an ambulance which never came. She gave up on calling up government authorities for help and called up her uncle who arrived 10 minutes later. "I can never forget what I saw. My mother was burnt alive in front of my eyes. For the past 15 years, I have seen my mother being tortured over the fact that she could not give birth to a boy. When my sister Tanya was born 11 years ago, the three of us were thrown out of the house and we were living on rent. On the night of June 14, my grandmother and some other relatives came to our house and told my mother that they would get my father married to someone who could bear him a son. It led to an altercation which resulted in them setting my mother on fire. My little sister could not stop crying, but I am brave so I called up 100," Latika told reporters after meeting the Chief Minister.

Share it