Curfew continues in valley for 3rd day, no relief for south Kashmir since July 9

Srinagar: Curfew restrictions continued for the third consecutive day today in the entire Kashmir Valley, where normal life remained disrupted for the ninth straight day following violent clashes, between protestors and security forces, that left 42 people, including a policeman, dead and 3,500 injured. Curfew restriction continued in south Kashmir valley, Shehar-e-Khas (SeK) and downtown besides parts of civil lines in Srinagar for the ninth successive day. Official sources here said that curfew restrictions continued to remain in force in Kashmir valley, where separatist organisations have extended strike call till tomorrow. Pakistan has called for "Black Day" to express solidarity with the people of Kashmir on July 20. They said the decision to continue curfew was taken as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order in view of the stone-pelting incidents across the Valley. The situation remained tense and cellular services in continued to remain suspended for the third consecutive day while a gag has been imposed on local newspapers.

Only BSNL postpaid mobile phones are working in the valley. Mobile internet services was already suspended in Kashmir valley since protests broke out on Saturday following the killing of top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen (HM) Burhan Wani along with two other militants, in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag in south Kashmir district of Anantnag on July 8 evening. Both the factions of the Hurriyat Conference (HC) and Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF), who had jointly announced protest calendar after the death of Wani, have extended the strike till Monday. Security forces were allegedly making announcements over loud speakers, directing people to remains indoors in the SeK and downtown in Srinagar. "Since morning they (security forces) were making announcement, directing us to remain indoors or face consequences," the residents of Rainawari alleged.

Share it