Bulandshahr: With Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav taking serious note of the alleged gang rape of a woman and her daughter during a road holdup here on Friday night, state DGP has rushed senior officials here to head the investigation. At least 20 people suspected in the horrific gangrape have been detained so far and an interrogation was underway. The main culprit has been identified but he is absconding. State DGP Javeed Ahmed has assured action in the case. He said 15 special teams have been formed to launch a probe into the case. SSP Bulandshahr Vaibhav Krishna today said the main accused behind the incident has been identified, adding that he belongs to 'nomadic criminal tribe'. A massive manhunt is on and ADG (Law and order) Daljeet Choudhary has been deputed to assist the investigation at Bulandshahr.
"We have identified the main culprit through photographs. STF teams have been deputed and locations of all the accused involved in the incident has been traced," Mr Choudhary said. After the incident came to light, the government has suspended the SHO for dereliction of duty. The brutal gangrape was reported here in the district on late Friday night when a gang of 12 robbers sexually assaulted a woman and her 14-year-old daughter for close to three hours. The rape survivors were headed for Shahjahanpur from Noida and driving down the Delhi-Kanpur National Highway 91 with four of their family members when the incident took place. The car carrying family members was ambushed near Dostpur village after which women were dragged out of the vehicle and raped by the robbers.